We are seeking a talented and professional Communications Officer (1-year contract) with a passion for community building to join their team.
The Communications Officer is responsible for planning, coordinating, and executing communications efforts for CEF, advancing the organization’s success stories and social impact, as well as attracting, building, and deepening the engagement of a community of interest and support. This role will be responsible for CEF’s website, social media, and other communications.
The Communications Officer will create communications and promotional materials, maintain and refresh the CEF website and its content, as well as interact and engage with constituents (e.g., community members, donors, and partners) and the public to deliver the organization’s message via compelling, creative storytelling. This role will also build relationships with and provide excellent customer service to internal and external stakeholders of CEF.
Community Evolution Foundation (CEF) is a program of Inspiration in Action (IIA), headquartered in Vancouver, BC with an international mission to support the development of co-operative and community economic development (CED) projects that empower communities and promote the advancement of progressive economic, social, and sustainability goals based on co-operative and CED principles and methodologies. The program has been in operation for 4 years and is currently supporting projects in Bolivia, Ecuador, and British Columbia (BC).
The Communications Officer will be responsible for raising the profile and visibility of CEF’s aims and social impact by developing and implementing a communications and public engagement strategy and communications efforts to promote and market the CEF program and development projects.
Reporting to the CEF Program Manager, the Communications Officer is accountable for the following:
- Plan and implement a communications strategy.
- Create and manage print and digital media content, and build relationships with program stakeholders to collect stories, images, and support local communication activities.
- Manage CEF communications channels, including the website, social media, and e-newsletters, and serve as the point of contact for public and media questions.
- Provide general program support, including writing, editing, translating, and assisting with fundraising.
Further details of the above position responsibilities are in the full Role Description.
Qualifications and Competencies
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Communications, English, Public Relations or Journalism, and/or equivalent experience in a related field.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a marketing or communications position, with at least 3 of those years in a non-profit setting.
- Experience working, studying, volunteering in South America is a definite asset.
- Experience with fundraising, crowdfunding campaigns, donor relations, and proposal/grant writing is an asset.
- Familiarity with and/or interest in community economic development (CED), international cooperation, and/or CEF thematic areas: sustainable food production and community tourism.
- Solid understanding of effective marketing communications strategies and (digital) storytelling techniques.
- Excellent communication skills, including strong writing and editing abilities.
- Fluent in English and Spanish.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills.
- Exceptional organizational, project management, and time management skills.
- Proficiency in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and/or other graphics and design software.
- Proficiency in WordPress website content management and social media platforms.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite and Google G Suite.
- Ability to work with MailChimp.
- Digital photography and video/multimedia production and editing skills are desirable.
- Cross-cultural sensitivity and ability to apply gender-based analysis.
- Ability to take initiative, be creative, and be resourceful.
- Ability to work independently and also as a member of a small team.
How to apply
This search is conducted by Realize Strategies. To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume in one PDF document to https://realize.coop/opportunity/cef-communications-officer-search
For more information about this position, including a full role description, please visit https://realize.coop/opportunities or contact Gillian Harper at 604.718.8292.
You can also read the full opportunity brief here.
Applications should be submitted by September 6, 2019. All applications will be kept in strict confidence.
CEF strives for meaningful employment from all communities and for its team to reflect the diversity of the communities it serves. First Nations, people of colour, and people across spectrums of gender, sexuality, age, and abilities are encouraged to apply.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position.